Monday, January 09, 2006

Hari Raya Haji



This photo was taken last year when we celebrated Teacher's Day in my previous centre. Sharon, my previous colleague, attended the celebration with her family as seen in the photo.

Why I remember her? It is because tomorrow is a public holiday here in Singapore as it is Hari Raya Haji, a Malay celebration.

It fascinates me that Sharon being an Indian by race is celebrating Hari Raya. She told me that though she is an Indian, she grew up in a Malay family background. That is why she speaks Malay and not an Indian dialect. No wonder she married a Malay man too.

And look at their kids, beautiful children with mixed heritage.

This is the beauty of living here in Singapore, you got to meet people of different racial backgrounds and also people with mixed racial backgrounds ,but all Singaporeans in hearts and minds.

And to Sharon and the rest of my Malay friends, Happy Hari Raya Haji to all of you!!!

No comments: